There are so many details that go into planning a wedding…of course, there’s the obvious…the when, the where, the dress, and so on. Then there are the colors, the flowers, the tablecloths, napkins, china, centerpieces…the list goes on and on (and you may as well just keep your checkbook handy!). So we thought we’d let you in on a little bit of what we know about wedding cakes.
Did you know that cakes are usually priced by the slice, with prices ranging from $1.50 to $15.00 per slice! Why such a huge range? Well, if money is beginning to get tight, here’s what we can tell you:
- Fondant is more expensive than buttercream. (And buttercream just tastes better!)
- Steer clear of sugar flowers and special shapes, because these are labor intensive and will hike your price up fast! Use fresh, in season flowers to decorate your cake instead.
- The more tiers you have, the more money you pay.
- And specially shaped (like an octagon or square, etc.) cake molds mean more cha-ching for your baker!
- If height and drama are what you’re looking for, consider using a couple of fake layers on the bottom. These are basically sturdy boxes that will be decorated with the icing to make it look like you have a huge cake. I’ve used this lots of times and it works great! Or think of other non-food ways to add height, such as stacked wood slices or other funky pedestals.
- The more decadent the cake (with fillings such as ganache and so on), the higher your price per slice.
- For large weddings, it might be best to choose a beautiful “mostly fake” cake for display (don’t forget you still have to cut a “real” slice to feed your new spouse!) and have some sheet cakes of the same flavor back in the kitchen to serve all your guests.
- And lastly, you might want to consider having a smaller cake prepared as part of a larger dessert table display. You still get the effect of having the wedding cake, but it can take center stage amongst candies, tarts, cookies, mini-pies and so on.
We’ve found a bunch of inspiration photos for you to peruse…enjoy!